My work as a therapist is based on my knowledge of people gained through my various life experiences, occupations, training and academic study.
I started my career as a registered nurse at the Leeds General Infirmary teaching hospital. My roles included nursing on the wards and operating theatre, sister at a private hospital and chest clinic, working as a health visitor assistant caring for everyone from babies to the elderly, and as a school nurse.
I left nursing and gained a psychology degree.
As a hypnotherapist, counsellor and psychotherapist I have many years of experience in the voluntary sector working with bereaved and disabled people as well as in private practice. Apart from a period of working in commerce and sales and running a nursing agency for the British Nursing Association, I have always worked in caring related occupations:
- As a hypnotherapist and counsellor/psychotherapist in private practice
- As a counsellor for Herts Action on Disability
- As a counsellor for South West Herts Bereavement Network
- As a counsellor for Watford and Bushey Bereavement Visitors.
My commitment to maintaining a high standard of care:
I maintain continuous development training and have trained with the world’s leading experts in hypnosis, cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), depression, sports performance and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), addictions and smoking cessation.
I keep abreast of change and undertake to continue to develop my skills accordingly.
My practice is solution focussed having trained with:
- Michael Yapko in America, a clinical psychologist who is one of the most highly respected researchers and practioner of hypnosis, especially using hypnosis for depression
- Joe Griffin and Ivan Tyrell of Human Givens leaders in solution focussed therapy that combines proven therapeutic techniques, the most up to date psychological knowledge, to help you move on as quickly as possible
- Michael Mahoney whose IBS treatment has received world wide recognition and who receives patients from all the local doctors where he works.
I am a member of ‘The UK Register of IBS Therapists’ and have undertaken additional specialist training in this area.
I have taken additional training in anorexia, bulimia and obesity with The National Centre for Eating Disorders.
As a professional hypnotherapist, counsellor and psychotherapist I am a member of professional bodies that keep abreast of hypnosis, psychology, research, counselling and psychotherapy and undertake to abide by their strict code of ethics.
As a member of the British Psychological Society I have access to up-to-the-minute information and research.
Please refer to Qualifications